Monday, September 21, 2009

Is it always cold in Canada???

Finally, the day has come! After a few weeks of planning, I’ve finally made it to Canada!
After spending two days with family in Ottawa, I'm making my way over to Quebec City, where I will be starting my bike ride tomorrow. Winter seems to be quickly approaching as the weather is slightly colder than expected….the low reached 41 degrees yesterday. I hope God will bless me with some warmer weather for the next few days.

Tomorrow, I will start my three day ride from Quebec City to Bucksport, Maine, which is the only part of my trip that I have not mapped out. With no way around it, I’m taking on the hardest leg of my trip on day one. The 200 mile to Bucksport (close to Portland) will take me directly over the Appalachian Mountains and through a part of the country that is sparsely populated. Northern Maine is mostly comprised of lakes and forests and is home to many wildlife animals, including moose and black bears. As a Texas boy, I’ve definetly never had to deal with these animals. They avoid the roads for the most part, but if I do come across one of these animals I may have to think twice about camping in that spot.

5 comments:

  1. Alex,

    Let me know if you think you will be in NYC on Oct. 4th or after. I'm think it would be cool to ride from NYC to DC.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck, Alex! I will say a prayer for you! -Jessica Stachyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,
    I really admire you! I wish you good luck in this trip/tour! and I will support your cause and find more donations!
    Hope I can ride some miles with you when you get back to Houston!
    Si se puede!! VAMOSSS!!! todo mi apoyo moral desde aca!! =D

    ReplyDelete